"She has incredible poise – you can throw almost anything at her and it's as if she'd expected it all along." "A brilliant all-rounder who is incredibly well polished."Chambers and Partners 2019
Since being called to the bar in 1999, Emma has risen to the top tiers of the private matrimonial finance bar. Her cases often include corporate, trust and international elements and she regularly appears on behalf of high net worth individuals who are involved in the areas of finance, law, sport and business.
Emma is known amongst fellow professionals for her clear, incisive views, confident advocacy, effective negotiation skills and friendly manner. She enjoys building a rapport with clients, for whom she works tirelessly and is praised by Chambers & Partners for her “excellent client care skills”. She is also renowned for being “very good with judges” and “excellent on her feet” with “a real iron fist in velvet glove approach, which is extremely effective”.
This high regard has led the directories to rank for many years as one of the leading practitioners amongst her peers in the area of matrimonial finance.
Financial remedy cases often involving substantial assets.
- Charterhouse School
- Exeter University (Politics)
- ‘Has a calm and reassuring manner with clients.’ The Legal 500 2019
- "She is forceful and pragmatic and has an excellent bedside manner." The Legal 500 2017
- "Elegant and poised, she is known for her meticulous preparation and powerful advocacy. She is well liked and respected by clients and judges alike." Chambers & Partner 2018
- “Calm and measured with superb judgment and excellent client care skills. She inspires confidence and is an excellent advocate.” Chambers & Partners 2017
- “She is very polished, very thorough and a really tenacious advocate. She always wants to win; no matter what the case, you know she’s going to fight all the way. She will compromise where necessary but will always want to win.” Chambers & Partners 2016
- “She is very thorough in preparing her cases, and has an excellent manner with clients and judges.” The Legal 500 2016
- “She’s fantastic to work with, and you can’t fault her on the law. She’s also incredibly personable and easy to approach.” “Always so well prepared and her attention to detail is second to none.” Chambers & Partners 2015
- “Recommended for cases involving substantial assets” The Legal 500 2014
- “Has experience in a range of family law issues and is particularly recommended for her expertise in high net worth ancillary relief cases, especially those involving corporate and trust matters. “Very helpful, easy to work with and very clear in her views.” Chambers & Partners 2014
- “The “highly regarded” Emma Sumner is praised by sources for being “very clear in her advice” and “very good with judges”. Her private family law practice is focused largely on high value ancillary relief cases, which frequently have corporate or trust dimensions to them.” Chambers & Partners 2013
Married with two children.